Thursday, September 18, 2008

In a New Place

So as I said the other day, perhaps the major event of the last couple years was moving out of my parents' and into a house full of early-20-somethings nicknamed the 476. It was a fun place to live-- the 'kids' were all pretty cool, despite some conflicts over cleanliness-- and the boyfriend and I had a lot of good times there. It was a pretty major change, undertaken (at the time) because the stress of living with my dad had gotten intolerable, but in retrospect I wasn't *really* taking a huge chance because I moved in with 6 other people in a house that pretty much came with everything I needed to live day-to-day. I had to buy my own groceries and stuff like that, but the house came-- for instance-- with a vaccuum cleaner, washer and drier, furniture for the common areas, and all those things that one wouldn't often have upon moving out "on one's own."

After a little over a year at the 476, though, the time came to move on. I originally started looking for a new place because one of my roommates' occasional pot use wasn't really compatible with my application to the RCMP (more about that another time, but incidentally yeah-- I applied to the RCMP) but once I started looking a lot of other good reasons unveiled themselves: I wanted a bit more physical space, a little less congestion, a little more privacy and quiet, a bit more tidiness.

So on September 1, Matt (another of the 476ers), Angela (an Education student who answered our ad for a roommate on kijiji), the bf and I moved into a 4th floor apartment Matt and I nicknamed "Parkside Perch," which answered everything I was looking for in a place and at ~$50 less per month. And I did most of the decorating and arranging, so it really feels like I've made the place a home. I even managed to turn one corner of the living room into a little meditation space (another post for another time, how I've taken up meditation).

Anyway, so to any of our friends who haven't seen the place yet-- it would be nice to have you by-- and for those who have, consider yourselves welcome to visit (with a little advance notice) any time :)

No comments: